View Contact Info
How to Reach Us
The Elijah Miller House Committee was established by the Town Board on April 13, 2005. The Committee is tasked with advising and educating Town Board members regarding the history of the house and property and suggesting possibilities for enabling the County to save the 1738/1770 house museum located on Virginia Road and the park located on McDougal Drive in North Castle.
Owned by Westchester County since 1917, the Westchester County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation has been tasked to administer the property. The County has not opened the house museum to the public for several years due to its state of disrepair.
The house was used by General George Washington and his generals during the American Revolution, including the Battle of White Plains during the last week of October, 1776. The grounds were covered with tents of the Continental Army, and during the Battle the wounded were nursed in the house and on the grounds. The first Methodist church services in the area were held in the house.
Westchester County Parks Department records indicate that Miller Hill Park is the only Revolutionary War battle site in Westchester County still in its natural setting. Earthworks on Miller Hill protected the right wing of General Washington's army during the Battle of White Plains.
The Elijah Miller House was accepted for the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1976; added to the New York State Register of Historic Places on June 26, 1980; and listed on the Westchester County Inventory of Historic Places on January 5, 1988.
Members of the Elijah Miller House Committee serve at the pleasure of the Town Board.
Anyone interested in serving on the Committee can submit a Volunteer application form.
|Cynthia Abbott Kauffman||Member|
|Town Board Liaison: Councilman Reiter|