Recycling Committee Mission:
The mission of the North Castle Recycling Committee is to develop and promote innovative and effective recycling and waste management practices throughout the town. The Committee initiates creative cost effective solutions for our recycling challenges through a coordinated program of education, research and evaluation.
Much has happened in the 10+ years since the Recycling Committee began its Zero Waste Day events. Because there are so many opportunities to recycle or dispose of household items on a weekly/monthly basis, there is no longer a need for an annual Zero Waste Day event. The Town Board will evaluate the feasibility of holding this event in future years based on the availability of vendors and new volunteers.
The Recycling Committee is refocusing its efforts on its core mission of education. We also will be galvanizing our efforts to support Town Wide Clean Up Day for April 25, 2020. Volunteers are needed to make TWCU a successful town-wide endeavor: Go to firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
While there will not be a ZWD, North Castle residents can recycle or dispose of unwanted household items in the following ways:
● Gently used clothing in season can be dropped off at the Community Center of Northern Westchester in Katonah or Treasures thrift shop around the corner from St. Steven’s Church in downtown Armonk, or to Goodwill in Bedford Hills.
● Donations of worn blankets, dog and cat food, and dog supplies can be dropped off in the large bins in the driveway of Adopt-A-Dog, 23 Cox Avenue, Armonk, NY.
● Gently used small furniture in good condition can be dropped off at the Furniture Sharehouse drop off center at the Westchester County airport, or they can be contacted at furnituresharehouse.org if you want to arrange a pick up. Their website has details on what items are accepted.
● Used motor oil, antifreeze, tires and batteries can be brought to local gas stations.
● Smaller items that are “junk” can be discarded at curbside. For larger items, contact Suburban Carting to arrange for pick up.
Email North Castle Recycling Committee.
Sustainable North Castle Mission:
The Sustainable North Castle mission is to support, involve and inform our community about climate change; to provide guidance to the Town Board and our community on sustainable living choices; to participate with other communities and collaborate on green initiatives; to coordinate efforts to reduce our carbon footprint and make a positive impact on the environment for current and future generations.