Building Department Mission:
The primary mission of the Building Department is to provide quality service to the community that is knowledgeable, efficient, comprehensive and helpful to the public. The intention is to safeguard life, health, property and public welfare by regulating and controlling the construction, quality of materials, use of all buildings and structures within the Town of North Castle. The department is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the NYS Uniform code and related Town adopted laws and ordinances.
The Fire Prevention and Property Maintenance program will provide a high level of life safety and property protection for the community and first responders through inspection, education, and enforcement.
Fire Prevention and Property Maintenance is the inspection, education, and enforcement division of the Building Department providing life safety services through code enforcement and inspections during the new business developement process, general fire inspections, operating and special use permitting and compliant investigation. Fire Prevention is the key to saving lives and property. Fire Prevention education is the first step in the Town's commitment to protecting the lives and property of our citizens, guests, and neighboring communities.
- A Temporary Certificate of Occupancy may be issued, at the discretion of the Building Inspector, when only a portion of a project is complete. For more information please contact the Building Inspector.
- A Certificate of Occupancy or a Certificate of Compliance is issued after the project is complete.
- The Zoning Board of Appeals considers requests for variances from Town Zoning Law. To schedule a ZBA hearing, contact the Building Department at (914) 273-3000 x44.
- The Planning Board approves all site plans and subdivisions. To schedule Planning Board review, contact the Planning Department at (914) 273-3000 x43. NOTE: All residential additions over 1500 square feet, any tear down, or new structure requires site plan approval.
- Architectural Review Board and Zoning Board information packets are available from the Building Department.
- To file a property maintenance complaint or an illicit discharge complaint, a hotline (914-273-3000 x 44) is available to any citizen who observes and wishes to report any of these issues. You can also email us by clicking on the link below.
Engineering Department Misson:
The Town’s Consulting Engineer and Wetland Consultant, provides day-to-day technical support to the Town Departments and Boards, in particular the Town’s Building, Highway and Water and Sewer Departments as well as consultation to the Town, Planning and Conservation Boards. The Consulting Engineer also represents the Town in meetings on technical matters with other municipalities, with private interests, and acts as liaison between the Town and property owners and developers.
The Consulting Engineer reviews submissions for improvements pertaining to engineering related issues including proposed roadways, drainage systems, site grading, erosion controls, parking lots, water, sewer and utilities for conformance with all Town rules, regulations, local laws and ordinances, Subdivision and Site Plan Approvals, the State Environmental Quality Review Law and the State Wetlands and Drainage Law. In addition, their office prepares plans and specifications, at the request of the Town Board, for capital improvement projects and provides inspection and construction management services.
The Consulting Engineer provides periodic field inspections of construction of new roads, drainage systems, erosion control procedures, grading, guide rails, water, sewer and utilities, witness testing of utilities, to insure conformance with conditions of subdivision and site plan approvals. Inspections are documented with an inspection report for each visit and notice is provided to the Building Department of the project's conformance to the approved site plan prior to the issuance of a final Certificate of Occupancy for the dwelling or site improvement compliance.
Other duties of the Consulting Engineer include updating and maintaining the Town's official stormwater and wetland maps, maintaining compliance with NYS Stormwater Phase II Regulations, maintaining files of plans, construction drawings (proposed and as-built) and other information related to utilities, roads, drainage and related improvements, for reference by Town Departments, property owners, contractors and the general public.
For more information on the Town Engineer, please contact the Building Department.
|Michael Cromwell||Assistant Building Inspector||914-273-3000 ext. 44|
|Vincent Costa||Fire Inspector||914-273-3000 ext. 44|
|Ivan Quintero||Assistant Building Inspector||914-273-3000 ext. 44|
|Robert Melillo||Building/ Fire Inspector||914-273-3000 ext. 44|
|Thomas Glass||Fire Inspector||914-273-3000 ext. 44|